We sat down with the remarkable and inspiring – Middle Eastern history and politics expert – Dr. Kylie Moore-Gilbert. In 2018, Kylie was invited to Iran to attend an academic conference, when she was arrested and subsequently held hostage as a political prisoner. She was imprisoned for over 2 years, in solitary confinement, subject to horrific conditions and treatment.
During this interview, Kylie Moore-Gilbert details what eventually led to her early release in 2020, as she was meant to serve a 10-year sentence. Kylie served as international leverage, a pawn in a greater political game. She discusses this political space, the issues attached with it, and the various ways in which countries can ensure change.“Human rights are not some sort of abstract concept… far removed from the corporate world or the business world in western countries… what happened to me really illustrates that sometimes this can be closer to home than we may expect”.
In order to survive, Kylie tapped into remarkable strength and resilience. She made a promise to fellow prisoners that she would do her best to ensure the international community fought for fundamental human rights. She also provides interesting insights into the concerning rise of authoritarianism and the implications this has on human rights and the other challenges it poses to the western world.
Since her release, Kylie has felt a deep responsibility to campaign for human rights and has worked with ABC, Sky News, SBS, WHO magazine, and others. She has spoken at the 2021 Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy and is a board member of the Hostage Aid Worldwide.
Kylie, a brilliant academic, is using her voice and freedom to fight for those who cannot. She is an outspoken advocate for human and women’s rights globally, demonstrating resilience, strength, integrity, and purpose.
- 00:16 – Please tell us a bit about yourself
- 01:39 – You were released towards the end of 2020. What inspires you to share your story… and what do you hope to inspire in others?
- 03:28 – You are a human rights advocate, having spoken at the 2021 Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy. What are the biggest challenges facing humans’ rights today?
- 06:07 – Is there a way to prevent what happened to you… happening to others?
- 08:31 – What would your advice be, to someone going through something similar to what you went through?
- 09:49 – You are invited to speak at many corporate events – what are your key message to business leaders?
- 11:56 – Happy International Women’s Day! If you could give any advice to your younger self, what would it be?
- 14:02 – What is next for you?
Interested in booking Kylie Moore-Gilbert as a keynote speaker or boardroom advisor?