“Capitalism is dead… now we have something much worse.” – Yanis Varoufakis
World-renowned economist, Yanis Varoufakis, reveals how the owners of big tech have become “the world’s feudal overlords”. In his latest book, Technofeudalism: What Killed Capitalism, the bestselling author emphasises this should be a “major worry for everyone… left, right, centre.”
During this interview, Yanis Varoufakis draws back the curtain on European geopolitics, offering a rare and honest take on the state of our global economy and international relations.
He discusses how the war in Ukraine has impacted the European economy, as well as issues surrounding peace negotiations and subsequent economic recovery.
The controversial socialist explains why the new Cold War between China and the US “is the result of this insecurity that Washington D.C. feels, for the first time since 1944, that it’ll lose the monopoly of payments”. He shares his view on the latest BRICS relations, exploring how it’s impacts are both overestimated and underestimated by various parties.
In hindsight, the former Greek Finance Minister would have been “far less pliant and diplomatic” during his term. “Look at Greece today, everyone celebrates the end of the bankruptcy, but we are more bankrupt than ever… the country has been sold out.”
Yanis Varoufakis offers a revealing glimpse into the complex world of modern political and economic relations.
- 00:16 – Who are you and what do you do?
- 00:56 – What would you have done differently if you were finance minister again?
- 02:03 – Can you tell us a bit about your latest book, Techno-feudalism: What Killed Capitalism?
- 06:52 – How extensively has the Russian Ukrainian War impacted the European economy?
- 10:00 – What’s your take on the latest BRICS global relations, and how will this impact the global economy?
- 18:15 – How is the Eurozone approaching sustainable economic development?
- 22:32 – How would you assess the current economic recovery within the Eurozone, especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- 24:46 – During these uncertain times, what advice do you have for leaders and corporations?
Order Yanis Varoufakis’ book, Technofeudalism: What Killed Capitalism, now.