Robert Mazur‘s Biography
Robert Mazur has earned global acclaim as one of the world’s leading experts on the financial escapades of the underworld. There is no one with more first-hand knowledge about how international banks and businesses cater to those who own the nearly US$2 trillion in criminal proceeds laundered annually.
For years, in the eyes of the organised crime leaders Mazur was a highly successful mob-connected money launderer that helped manage their illicit fortunes. His clients, some of the most famous and deadly drug cartel bosses, offered a US$1.2 million price tag for his head when arrests were made around the world and he was revealed to be a highly-trained federal undercover agent.
Mazur is the author of The Infiltrator, a memoir about his undercover life, much of which was spent acting as a conduit between ruthless drug barons and corrupt legitimate appearing senior executives that cleaned billions in blood stained money through otherwise respectable international banks and businesses.
After completing a highly decorated 27-year career as a federal agent in 3 US agencies, Mazur is now an expert witness to companies world-wide. He is certified in both US and Canadian courts as an expert in money laundering.
Mazur’s book, The Infiltrator, is the basis for the internationally released major motion picture by the same name, starring Bryan Cranston, Diane Kruger and other internationally known cast members.
BUILDING TEAM SUCCESS:
Robert Mazur delivers important messages from a platform built on his book, The Infiltrator, and the internationally released film of the same name, based on his book. He enlightens attendees about how an “impossible goal” was achieved through a process that can be applied by them to likewise achieve their own “impossible goal”. He motivates audiences to take clear
steps to make their goal an attainable reality.
1. Fully analyze the goal. Dedicate time and experience to clearly identify all aspects of what you need to accomplish to achieve success. Mazur and a team of agents scoured volumes of intelligence to identify and assess the strengths and weaknesses of their target, in order to evaluate the feasibility of achieving their goal – Infiltrate the financial affaires of the world’s most powerful criminal organization.
2. Train to properly prepare yourself and your team to do the tough work needed to achieve the goal. Specialized training in business administration, banking, accounting, black money markets, and law enforcement techniques wasn’t enough. Specialized advanced training in long‐term undercover techniques was crucial to prepare the key employees for the mental and physical challenges of living double lives.
3. Methodically design an effective business plan. 18 months of meticulous planning led to an operational business plan which delivered a roadmap that identified clear goals, staffed with key employees, critical resources, necessary funding, a process to assess progress, and all the intelligence required for the team to work collectively toward success.
4. Fully dedicate yourself to the plan and inspire team members to do the same. The story of The Infiltrator speaks to the dedication of the 200+ team members who helped keep Mazur and his fellow operatives from the deadly risks of the underworld. They put their lives on the line for one another every day, for years.
5. While carrying out the plan, make reality based adjustments through a periodic fair assessment of progress. Despite the dangers of compromise, through a series of covert contacts, the prosecution team secured key information in real time, in order to assess adjustments and offer guidance. Periodic meetings attended by more than 100 federal agents, management personnel, and prosecutors gave the entire team the opportunity to air information, concerns and needs that led to timely adjustments. Mazur shares insights about his transformation from cop to apparent underworld figure. He underscores the unique value of being a key member of a team that embraces common goals and jointly dedicates themselves to achieving what is otherwise thought to be “the impossible”. Mazur’s success speaks to the role of “the difference maker” as being an inspired member of a talented goal oriented group of professionals who collectively embrace a core belief. Mazur keeps attendees on the edge of their seats as he winds his team building message with insights about the threat the underworld poses to many institutions. He highlights the dire reputation cost to individuals and firms caused by their unwittingly getting involved with
unsavory characters and shares how crime syndicates are destabilizing legitimate global markets by creating business conglomerates that don’t need to make a profit. He identifies certain geographic areas, business types, product types and transaction patterns which often signal a company could be connected to the underworld. Sharing his experiences, he equips
others to uncover the red‐flags which should trigger the deployment of enhanced due diligence resources. Mazur enlightens audiences about some of the techniques used by corrupt institutions to service people who possess “money seeking secrecy from governments”. This poisonous money, generated by drug traffickers, fraudsters, tax evaders, illegal arms dealers,
sanction busters, pilferers of treasuries, and others amounts to nearly $2 trillion annually. As these funds move around the globe undetected by governments, Mazur will help to ensure your institution does not become a refuge for tainted funds.
IDENTIFYING & MANAGING COMPLIANCE & FRAUD RISK:
Robert Mazur delivers important messages from a platform built on his book, The Infiltrator, and the internationally released film based on his book. Identifying and eliminating risk is an art that can save financial institutions and businesses hundreds of millions of dollars otherwise needed to satisfy fines, pay forfeitures, and rebuild reputation. Robert’s presentation helps well intended compliance professionals, fraud investigators, regulators and law enforcement agencies identify the types of businesses, products, transactions and geographic areas that carry the most significant money laundering and compliance risk. With a combination of insight gained from years of operating undercover as a sophisticated money launderer and endless time spent studying the most significant current cases, he arms his audiences with practical knowledge about how they can eliminate costly mistakes that could otherwise destroy their companies and individual careers. Robert’s presentations are gripping and transform today’s abstract headlines about complicated global money laundering techniques into easily understood principals that become engrained in the minds of his audiences, who soak up everything he shares from the edge of
their seats. Whether your employer is a bank, money service business, financial service provider, foreign exchange company, casino, importer, exporter, manager of international trade transactions, telecommunications company, or any of dozens of other businesses that face enhanced money laundering risk, Robert can offer insight to your team about where your company is most vulnerable to the risk of handling tainted funds. Through a demonstration of real transactions and fact patterns, he heightens awareness of how companies in your field have previously suffered because of their failure to identify and manage the risk that befalls many industries from the nearly $2 trillion in tainted funds per year that enter the legitimate markets.